Central Region Mopars  

Go Back   Central Region Mopars > Car and Truck Forums > Ram > 2nd Gen (1994 - 2001)
Register Garage All Albums FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
txbass06

Name: Mark

Year: 1997
Model: Ram
Engine: 5.9L

Garage
Default Starting troubles

So my truck has been dragging pretty good trying to start it the past week or so. Checked the red top which is less than 6 months old and its fine, alternator is putting out a little over 13.6v so I'm thinking the starter is going out. I'm assuming its the original starter and 14 years isn't too bad at all. Starter replacement is no big deal to me. But this morning, I got in it to drop my son off and after it fired up, the RPM's dropped to almost 0 then picked back up.

Got back home, killed it, then tried to start it again and it dragged like normal, fired up, then died. Tried starting it again and it did the same. Fired up, revved up to about 1000 rpm like always on start-up then dies. If I keep my foot on the pedal even the slightest it'll run just fine, doesn't cut out or try to stall and I'm stumped. No CEL or anything and I have no idea how a bad starter could keep it from running. Anyone got any ideas?

Mods: S&B Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, Blacked Out Headlights and Grill, 6000k HID's, Bull Bar w/ Hella 500 Black Magic, Leveled with 315/75/R16 Kumho AT's
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Okiespaniel56

Name: Al

Year: 2000
Model: Ram 1500 QC
Engine: 5.9 V-8

Garage

I'd check your idle IAC (idle air control) valve on the back of the throttle body. Could just be carboned up, or froze. Froze means replacement. BTW you can't move it when theres no current going into it so don't try.
I know theres a voltage test you can do...google IAC test and the info should pop up. A bad IAC doesn't always pop a CEL until the a certain number of failures are counted.
Okiespaniel56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
jasonw

Name: Jason

Year: 2001
Model: Ram 1500
Engine: 5.9L V8

Garage

Could also be the TPS being flaky. If the IAC doesn't prove to be your culprit, I'd like there next.